Event calendar
2024. June
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
2024.04.20. - 2024.11.24.
Budapest
2023.12.15. - 2024.02.18.
Budapest
2023.11.16. - 2024.01.21.
Budapest
2023.11.09. - 2024.03.17.
Budapest
2023.10.27. - 2024.02.11.
Budapest
2023.10.18. - 2024.02.18.
Budapest
2023.09.22. - 2024.01.21.
Budapest
2012.03.01. - 2012.03.31.
Vác
2012.02.01. - 2012.02.29.
Miskolc
2012.01.22. - 1970.01.01.
Budapest
2011.10.04. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.10.01. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.10.01. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.09.30. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.09.30. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.07.04. - 2011.07.08.
Budapest
Ferenc Kubinyi Museum - Szécsény
Ferenc Kubinyi Museum
Address: 3170, Szécsény Ady Endre u. 7.
Phone number: (32) 370-143
Opening hours: Tue-Fri 10-16, Sat-Sun 10-18
The History of the Building

The predecessor of the present building was began built by Tamás Szécsényi or his sons in the second half of the 14th century. Unfortunately, Turkish wars seriously damaged the building.

István Koháry began renovating the outer walls and the castle building in 1960. The lord lieutenant János Forgách and his wife, Margit Cziráky bought back most of the estate from Koháry by 1739. In 1753 the youngest son of János Forgách, Zsigmong inherited the estate. The Szécsény Castle was rebuilt in the baroque style in 1750-1760, probably by Zsigmond.

After he died, his second son, József inherited the estate where he built an English park. In the second half of the 19th century the Pulszky family owned the estate, except for the years 1849-1867 when it was part of the emperor's treasury. In 1900 the lawyer Jenő Grosso f Budapest purchased it, but sold it to Béla Lipthay in 1943.

The war damaged the building considerably but renovations did not begin until the 1960s. The last time the building was renovated was in the summer of 2005.

About the museum

The Kubinyi Ferenc Museum in Szécsény is one of the youngest branches of the Nógrád County Museum Association. It has been located in the Forgács Castle since 1973. It was officially named Kubinyi Ferenc Museum on 1 February 1979.

The museum collects archaeology related and historic items from the Nógrád region, as well as memories of local history up to the 19th century.

Permanent exhibitions
A taste of the exhibition
The new interior exhibition is located in the Forgács Castle hosting the Kubinyi Ferenc Museum. We intend to show the old interior of the castle via a female suit made up of three rooms. continue
The first part of the Prehistoric exhibition shows life in the New Stone Age based on material found in Nógrád County. besides objects, we also show a slide show presenting the life in the little settlement in the New Stone Age. Death is part of life, thus, we also show a reconstructed grave to the audience. continue