Event calendar
2020. September
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4
Kisfaludy Memorial House - Sümeg
Museum entrance
Address: 8330, Sümeg Kisfaludy tér 2.
Phone number: (70) 466-4036
Opening hours: 01.05-30.09.: Tue-Sun 10-18
01.10-30.04.: Mon-Fri 8-16
applied art, arts and crafts, clay art, ceramics, crafts, economy, permanent exhibition, services, workshop
Share it, if you like it:
Museum tickets, service costs:
Group ticket
300 HUF
Ticket for adults
500 HUF
Ticket for students
300 HUF
Ticket for pensioners
300 HUF
Medieval writings mention about the existance of potter masters labouring for the castle. During the excavation works many gothic, renaissance and early baroque ceramics were found, for instance a wine toby bearing the inscription of "Sümeg 1730".

Probably the potter guild was organized by the end of the 18th century. The guild flag seen in the exhibition was made in 1841. The pottery art had its real peak period at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century, when about 80-100 masters were working in 50 workshops of the town. The appearence of the enamel utensils led to the decline of the pottery craft. In 1943 there were only 3 potters working in Sümeg.

The most renown potter in Sümeg, Ferenc Patonai (1925-1987) began to do pottery just at the beginning of the 1940'ies. In 1979 he was awarded the 'Master of popular arts' prize. Some of the items made by himself and his wife were placed in the collection of the Town Museum in 1995.