Event calendar
2020. January
30
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
Gizella Boldog Diocese Collection - Veszprém
The museum building
Address: 8200, Veszprém Vár utca 35.
Phone number: (88) 426-088
Opening hours: Tue-Sun 10-17
The bishopric of Veszpr√©m is presumably the oldest of the ten episcopacies founded by Saint Stephen. It definitely existed in 1001. According to medieval sources, the Cathedral of Veszpr√©m was founded by Queen Gizella, who came from Bavaria. Her crown was kept in the cathedral, but King Andr√°s II took it with him when he went on a Crusade to the Holy Land in 1217, and he sold it in the course of his travels. The right of the bishops of Veszpr√©m to crown the queens was an ancestral right sanctioned by tradition. Until the 16th century, the coronation of the queens was performed by touching the queen‚Äôs right shoulder with the Holy Crown. Later, in the Habsburg Era, the so-called domestic crown and the Hungarian Holy Crown were used. The bishops of Veszpr√©m held the title of ‚ÄúQueen‚Äôs Chancellor‚ÄĚ as of the 14th century, and they listed it among their ranks until 1946. Between 1392 and 1773, the bishops were the Lord Lieutenants of Veszpr√©m county as well.

Following the submission of a proposal by the Blessed Gizella Archdiocese Collection, in 2014 the committee of the Municipal Value Inventory Committee of Veszprém declared the right of the bishops of Veszprém to crown the queens as part of the intangible cultural heritage of the city of Veszprém.

The Value Inventory Committee of the General Assembly of the Municipality of Veszprém County registered the right of the bishops of Veszprém to crown the queens as part of the intangible cultural heritage in the category of the cultural heritage of the Value Inventory of Veszprém County and suggested that the Hungarikum Committee should register it in the Hungarian Value Inventory.
Permanent exhibitions
Stone carvings of the diocese, from the city of Veszprém, and from the castle hill - a medieval architectural sections, tombstone fragments, baroque altar and baptismal font, and fragments of statues - all can be found in the Stonework Collection. continue