Event calendar
2019. November
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
Hungarian National Museum King Mathias Museum - Salamon-tower - Visegr√°d
The palace building
Address: 2025, Visegr√°d FŇĎ utca 23.
Phone number: (26) 597-010
Opening hours: Tue-Sun 9-17
The excavation works at the most well-known historic building of Visegr√°d began in the 1870's. The finds were moved to the National Museum. In 1927, the Castle Committee was established to save the ruins of the castle.

The first compilation was created in 1933 with the help of the committee and the management of Schulek J√°nos who inventoried the finds and placed them in the store of the Salamon Tower.

In 1935, the focus of the excavation works was placed on the Royal Palace. The new finds needed a new storage building. In 1940, the collection was moved to the Hunter Castle close to the ruins.

A stone gallery was planned among the ruins, but it was never realized due to WWII. The excavation works were also halted during the war, but continued from 1948 with the supervision of Dercs√©nyi DezsŇĎ and H√©jj Mikl√≥s. First, the compilation was moved to the National Museum but in the 1950's it took on the name Mathias Rex Museum.

New excavations began at the Roman limes and the Lord Lieutenant Center of the √Ārp√°d age. Considering its size and professionals working for the museum, it is one of the most significant in the country. The region it collects from is the Visegr√°d and Nagymaros region.

It also holds a local history compilation that presents the history of Visegr√°d populated by German settlers in the 18th century, ethnographic memories and the compositions of artists who lived or worked in town.

The most important national monuments are maintained by the town: the Royal Palace, the Lower Castle, and the ruins of the archdeacon church. The permanent exhibitions are held in the Salamon Tower and the reconstructed wards of the Royal Palace.

The museum is among the most often visited museums of the Dunakanyar. The number of visitors reached 15 000 in.
Permanent exhibitions
A taste of the exhibition
The new palace was located on 123 x 123 m. The gate tower stood in the middle of the facade facing the street. On one side the kitchen, on the other side stores and wards attached to the tower. The first yard of the palace was a large inn yard. Flower gardens of the king and the queen belonged to the building. continue