Event calendar
2022. July
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
2022.06.02. - 2022.07.24.
Budapest
2022.01.28. - 2022.03.13.
Budapest
2022.01.20. - 2022.03.13.
Budapest
2021.12.15. - 2022.02.13.
Budapest
2021.12.08. - 2022.02.20.
Budapest
2021.11.05. - 2022.02.13.
Budapest
2021.09.20. - 2022.03.13.
Budapest
2021.06.29. - 2022.02.13.
Budapest
2021.06.22. - 2022.04.17.
Debrecen
2012.03.01. - 2012.03.31.
Vác
2012.02.01. - 2012.02.29.
Miskolc
2012.01.22. - 1970.01.01.
Budapest
2011.10.04. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.10.01. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.10.01. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.09.30. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.09.30. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.07.04. - 2011.07.08.
Budapest
Ferenc Kubinyi Museum - Szécsény
Ferenc Kubinyi Museum
Address: 3170, Szécsény Ady Endre u. 7.
Phone number: (32) 370-143
Opening hours: Tue-Fri 10-16, Sat-Sun 10-18
The History of the Building

The predecessor of the present building was began built by Tamás Szécsényi or his sons in the second half of the 14th century. Unfortunately, Turkish wars seriously damaged the building.

István Koháry began renovating the outer walls and the castle building in 1960. The lord lieutenant János Forgách and his wife, Margit Cziráky bought back most of the estate from Koháry by 1739. In 1753 the youngest son of János Forgách, Zsigmong inherited the estate. The Szécsény Castle was rebuilt in the baroque style in 1750-1760, probably by Zsigmond.

After he died, his second son, József inherited the estate where he built an English park. In the second half of the 19th century the Pulszky family owned the estate, except for the years 1849-1867 when it was part of the emperor's treasury. In 1900 the lawyer Jenő Grosso f Budapest purchased it, but sold it to Béla Lipthay in 1943.

The war damaged the building considerably but renovations did not begin until the 1960s. The last time the building was renovated was in the summer of 2005.

About the museum

The Kubinyi Ferenc Museum in Szécsény is one of the youngest branches of the Nógrád County Museum Association. It has been located in the Forgács Castle since 1973. It was officially named Kubinyi Ferenc Museum on 1 February 1979.

The museum collects archaeology related and historic items from the Nógrád region, as well as memories of local history up to the 19th century.

Permanent exhibitions
A taste of the exhibition
The new interior exhibition is located in the Forgács Castle hosting the Kubinyi Ferenc Museum. We intend to show the old interior of the castle via a female suit made up of three rooms. continue
The second part is centered on a burial ceremony in the Bronze Age. On diorama, we can see women performing ritual around the deceased body. The figures wear original jewelry and objects from the Bronze Age. continue
A taste of the exhibition
Nógrád County is rich in Medieval Castles and locations where once castles stood. Part of the ruins is of stone castles from the 13th century. There are less known fortresses that are so much camouflaged by the landscape we can hardly spot them. In addition to eleven castle national monuments, fifty Motte-and-bailies and locations where castles used to be are known.

The exhibition also illustrates castles where overseers were based, in addition to early castle types, fortress churches and mould fortresses. A spectacular example of the castle construction wave that took place in the 13-14th century is Hollókő. Bulk constructions from the 15th century are demonstrated by way of a scale models.

The second room presents Ottoman Hungary chain of fortresses in Nógrád. The subtitle of the exhibition and the finds from fortress excavations symbolize the cultural duality in the country, that has been the meeting of eastern and western cultures.

continue
The first part of the Prehistoric exhibition shows life in the New Stone Age based on material found in Nógrád County. besides objects, we also show a slide show presenting the life in the little settlement in the New Stone Age. Death is part of life, thus, we also show a reconstructed grave to the audience. continue