Event calendar
2020. August
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
Palóc House - Balassagyarmat
The renovated county house
Address: 2660, Balassagyarmat Palóc liget 1.
Phone number: (35) 300-168, (35) 500-133
Opening hours: Temporarily closed.
In the beginning of the 1930 ies an open-air collection was opened in the yard of the Palóc Museum of Balassagyarmat. The first Hungarian permanent collection at this time was consisted only of one dwelling house, but articles written by Zsigmond Bátky and Sándor Ébner suggested that it should be extended to a whole agricultural yard.

The core of the open-air museum, a wooden house was shipped to Balassagyarmat from Karancskeszi. It was purchesed with 350 pengoes (old Hungarian currency) from its former owner Mákos József. The house, estimated to be 150-200 years old- was taken into pieces and shipped on 7 carts to the yard where it was put together again by carpenter András Berta.

The wooden stable used to work as a mill at the beginning of the 19th century. Later the building was used in its almost original state as a stable. It was shipped to Balassagyarmat in 1933.

In 1934 a wooden barn was added to the collection. It was also made at the beginning of the 19th century.

The small open-air museum was open before the public until the second World War. The barn was destroyed, the house was amaged and the furnishing of the buildings got lost during the war. The renovation of the house took place in the 1950'ies. Another barn was brought in 1964. According to traditions the barn is about 200.250 years old. A wine press is also seen in the barn.

In 1966 another barn was built and a traditional fence was made around the property. The well seen in the yard was built in 1967.

In 1996 new buildings were added to the collection. Namely, a small chapel that was built around 1880, and the reconstruction of a crucifix originated from the 19th century.

Apart from the new barn, the buildings of the museum take the visitors back into the middle of the 19th century. The collection gives a life-like representation of an agricultural yard in the 19th century Nógrád.

However, the interiour of the buildings recall the end of the 19th century. The dwelling house and the agricultural buildings have been open before the visitors since 1964 and 1967.

Mária Flórián
Temporarily closed!
Permanent exhibitions
A taste of the exhibition
In 1996 a copy of the small chapel in Szanda was reconstruated. The original was built in 1890, its walls are made of clay bricks and the roof was covered with shingle. continue
A taste of the exhibition
The buildings of the Palóc Museum present the architecture of the villages at the beginning of the 19th century. The wooden house that was bought for 350 pengős in Karancskeszi and moved to the garden of the museum by farm-wagons represents the old style of the Palóc houses. The only hip-roof the with hole for smoke that survived in Hungary is displayed here. The roof is covered by thatch. continue
A taste of the exhibition
The reconstruction of a road cross was also presented in 1996 - the cross from Etes served as a pattern. continue