Event calendar
2018. September
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Temesv├ír Fine Art Museum - Timi┼čoara
The museum building
Address: 300085, Timi┼čoara P-┼úa Unirii nr. 1
Phone number: (256) 491-592
Opening hours: Tue-Sun 10-18
The "European Paintings" permanent exhibition is closed at the moment due to resurrection!

Orm├│s Zsigmond (1813-1894), the founder of Banat Museum, started buying the objects of art after 1857, when, because of political persecutions, he sold his fortune inherited from his uncle and autoexiled to Italy. He studied the history of Italian art in the 14-19th centuries, he visitied museums, libraries, archeological excavations and the studios of the artists in this country and in the West of Europe, he took part in public auctions of objects of art. A few works bought first were sent to the museum in Budapest, then he tried making up a personal collection following mainly the picture of Venice, come out of the studios of the famous masters' disciples. continue
Permanent exhibitions
The museum's collection counts about five hundred European paintings, being one of the largest and most important collections of European art in Romania. The items originate primarily from a private collection formed in the latter half of the nineteenth century: that of the Orm├│s Zsigmond (1813-1894). continue
Corneliu Baba was born in Craoive in Olt├ęnia in 1906 as the third son of Gheorghe Baba, a church painter of Kar├ínsebes and Mathilda Baba. He moved to Temesv├ír after graduating from the Faculty of Arts of the University of Bucurest, at the beginning of the 1930's. Though he met several progressive artists, these three years of his life were spent with searching his own path. continue
The collection of old art has been constituted since 1928 and contains especially icons on wood and painting on canvas of a local origin. It was rhythmically completed with acquisitions, donations and transfers, especially after 1960, counting nowadays more than one thousand of pieces. Chronologically integrating between the 17th and the 19th centuries, the collection thus completed has a heterogeneous shade, including icons originating in Wallachia, Transylvania and isolated in Maramuresh, Russia, Ukraina and Greece. continue
In the 18th century, in the halls of the Local Council and in the Palace of the county there were already portraits of emperors, commanders and local dignitaries. Some of these were signed by some masters from Vienna or from Budapest, and some by local artists. Sava Petrovi─Ź, Konstantin Daniel, Melegh G├íbor and later, in the second half of the century, Johann W├Ąlder or Ferenczy J├│zsef were called to finalize the portraits in the council hall of the town-hall's palace.The town rarely purchased works of the artists from Banat. Thus, at the begenning of the 20th century two compositions of big dimensions were bought and laid down at the museum: "The Wedding from Cana" (a copy after Veronese) of Brocky K├íroly and "The Colonization of the Schwabs in Banat" of Stefan J├Ąger. continue