Event calendar
2024. May
29
30
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
2024.04.20. - 2024.11.24.
Budapest
2023.12.15. - 2024.02.18.
Budapest
2023.11.16. - 2024.01.21.
Budapest
2023.11.09. - 2024.03.17.
Budapest
2023.10.27. - 2024.02.11.
Budapest
2023.10.18. - 2024.02.18.
Budapest
2023.09.22. - 2024.01.21.
Budapest
2012.03.01. - 2012.03.31.
Vác
2012.02.01. - 2012.02.29.
Miskolc
2012.01.22. - 1970.01.01.
Budapest
2011.10.04. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.10.01. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.10.01. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.09.30. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.09.30. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.07.04. - 2011.07.08.
Budapest
The Mining Museum of Mecsek - Exhibition on Mining Uranium - Kővágószőlős
The entrance of the Uranium Mining Exhibition in Kővágószőlős
Address: 7673, Kővágószőlős Rákóczi u. 54.
Phone number: (74) 374-162, (99) 312-667
Opening hours: 01.04-31.10.: Tue-Sun 10-18
01.11-31.03.: Tue-Sun 10-16
economy, heavy industry, history of industry, industry, mining, permanent exhibition, story
Share it, if you like it:
The research after uranium began nearby Kővágószőlős in 1953. The newly founded Bauxite-mine Company (cover-name) started mining of the lenticular uranium adherent to Permian standstone in 1955 and it began exploitation of uranium in 1957. This year the company's name was changed to Pécs Uranium-mine Company.
The equipments of Research for Uranium
Until 1961 the I., II., III. mines were built and the Exploratory-Well-boring Factory started. From 1958 the processed and assorted uranium was transported to the Soviet Union for futher processing (mainly for military engineering). In 1964 the Chemical Washings started to operate and the company's name changed to Mecsek Ore-mines Company (MOC). For the replacement of the exhausted ore-bodys and for the augmentation of production new mines opened up: in 1971 the IV. Mine, and in 1983 the V. Mine. In these mines the yield was brought up from 1000m or from even deeper. In the 1980s the MOC could not survive the financial deficiencies in the changing economical milieu. 31. 12. 1997. uranium-mining in Mecsek come to an end. While the mine was still working the heating elements of Paks Nuclear Power-Station Corporation was manufactured from the uranium of Mecsek in the Soviet Union.

From the saved material of the closed exhibition of uranium-mining which was at the former FDSNC headquarters an ore mining exhibition was reopened in Kővágószőlős in 1997. The local government of Kővágószőlős provided room for the exhibition in the former school building. The memorial for the victims of mining welcomes the visitor on the court. In connection with a mine model also several mining-machines are shown here.

Entering the building, in the guest-hall are the banner (St. Borbála) of Mecsek Uranium Ltd. and remembrances, cups, coins and plaquettes. In the main hall the minerals and specimen rocks of the ore's characteristic geological environment command attention. Here are on display concentrated uranium-oxide made from coal, the typical devices of ore-mining, the wells and instruments of ore-exploration and product management, the "working" flowsheet of uranium utilization, a model of a derrick used for ore-exploration, and the tools of personal illumination, work safety and mine-rescue. In the inner room are mining models, laboratorial equipment, a complete gyroscopic theodolite, honourable emulation banners, awards, medals, plaquettes and cups from competitions.

This exhibition is closely connected to the Underground Mining Exhibition (Pécs, Káptalan Street, Nr. 3.) of Mecsek Mining Museum and the Exhibition and Library of Mining-history (Pécs, József Attila Street, Nr. 5.), so it is highly recommended to visit those places also.