Event calendar
2024. June
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
2024.04.20. - 2024.11.24.
Budapest
2023.12.15. - 2024.02.18.
Budapest
2023.11.16. - 2024.01.21.
Budapest
2023.11.09. - 2024.03.17.
Budapest
2023.10.27. - 2024.02.11.
Budapest
2023.10.18. - 2024.02.18.
Budapest
2023.09.22. - 2024.01.21.
Budapest
2012.03.01. - 2012.03.31.
Vác
2012.02.01. - 2012.02.29.
Miskolc
2012.01.22. - 1970.01.01.
Budapest
2011.10.04. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.10.01. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.10.01. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.09.30. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.09.30. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.07.04. - 2011.07.08.
Budapest
Windmill - Szegvár
Windmill
Address: 6635, Szegvár Sport tér 1.
Phone number: (30) 965-5018
Opening hours: On prior notice from 1 April to 31 October from Tuesday to Friday and on Saturday, Sunday 9-13: Purgel Nóra (20/5679298)
Old maps still have the mills on at the beginning of Malom Street and on the square in front of the Cultural Center where, according to documents, two mills stood. In these mills, the grinding stones were turned by animal power. The crops grown in Szegvár were also ground in water mills in Tisza and Kurca.

The sole windmill of the village was built in 1865. The exact date of the building is not known, but we know that in 1865 rich growth was expected so the superiors of the village decided to build a windmill. The record of a meeting on 24 April 1865 contains the following: 'As we understand, the building of a new windmill is necessary. 400 square feet could be separated from the pig styles keeping a 50-meter cord distance from the streets. Still, it would be close to the village. It would be accounted for as expenditure and the mill would be possible to sell if the officials accede.

Thus, the idea of building of the windmill first came up on 24 April 1865. However, there is no document stating when the construction works began. Nevertheless, we know about the owners in the 20th century. The last owner was 1937 Pusztai Pál according to the sale contract. Pusztai bought the property from Béládi József for 3000 pengő. The Pusztai family began the reconstruction works in the spring of 1938. A few years after the works were done, a storm broke off two sales. Following this event, the mill operated with the remaining two wings. For a while, the mill was also operated via an engine, but the fuel proved to be expensive thus the owners returned to the original wind powered system.

The windmill stopped operating in 1948. The Hungarian nation bought in in 1964. The National Monument Conservancy declared it 'Protected National Monument' on 10 July 1968. The reconstruction works began in 1979. However, it lasted long. On 1 December it was opened in May 1995.

The windmill of Szegvár was built on an artificial mound at the suburbs of the village. Its walls are a meter wide downstairs but they gradually grow narrow towards the top. The walls are 80 cms on the third floor and only 45 cms on the upper floor. The walls are built of three layers: brick on the outside and inside while the middle is loam. The loam blunts the resonance springing up at operation. The windmill is a tower type mill, with two grinding stones. The mill house had four floors.


(except from the guide titled 'The Village Museum of Szegvár and the Windmill)