Event calendar
2021. January
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Town Museum - Nagyatád
Museum entrance
Address: 7500, Nagyatád Széchenyi tér 2.
Phone number: (82) 352-028
Opening hours: Temporarily closed.
City Museum in Nagyatád was opened on 26th April 1996 the 25th anniversary of awarding the title of the city to Nagyatád. (The institute is not independent; it belongs to the Cultural House from both management and financial points of view.)

The newest cultural institute is located in a family house owned by Dr Imre Mike former public notary that was built in the late 1920's in the centre of the city in Széchenyi square (it is mentioned "Mike house" by the people living in Nagyatád.)

The house was owned by the Hungarian Army from the beginning of 1950's; the local self-government purchased it in 1995 and made it reconstructed according to its new function. The original, outside form of the house and beautiful façade was restored and now it goes well with row of the civil houses (being under reconstruction just now). Its surroundings - a nice park with huge chestnut trees and a garden behind the house with lots of trees and bushes - are wonderful.

Idea of foundation and creation of the collection goes back the 1970's when ethnographical collecting activity was started with participation of the students at the local college. The collected objects were exhibited in the loft of the college and this "loft" exhibition could have been visited for nearly twenty years. The collection having been accumulated there (and since the 1990's having been getting lost) as well as the inhabitants' expressed request made necessary to establish an institute where the collection can be saved, shown and extended.

In the year of foundation 1427 pieces were listed in the inventory and since that time the collection has continuously been getting extended. At present more than 9000 objectives, documents and photos, etc. are included in the collection of which the major part was presented to the museum.

The main task of the museum is to collect documents, photos and objects concerning history of Nagyatád and its surroundings. The collection can be divided into historical, ethnographical parts and collection of the fine arts.

In the historical collection the most important objects and documents are those that inform on operation and activity of the former factories and craftsmen in Nagyatád. Historical relics from legal authorities, education and church history, documents of associations and societies as well as culture historical are worth seeing. Trade historical collection presents documents and workshop equipment and products of the local craftsmen (rope maker, shoe maker, joiner, locksmith, tailor, confectioner, honey-cake maker, cooper, turner and string and braiding maker - predecessor of the current thread factory -, canning factory, mills and printing shop, etc.)

In turn of the nineteenth century Nagyatád was an important traffic, public administration and trade junction in South-Somogy region. Bustling life of the settlement, trade and bank atmosphere and bath culture is recalled with the photos, picture postcards, newspapers of that time, advertisements, signboards and various relics.

The main characteristic feature of Nagyatád that has formed in its historical development (and saved up to now) is duality of its economic life: in the centre of the city industrial and trade activities were dominant while in the suburbs agriculture was typical. Lives of the farmers, equipment and tools used in the agriculture are shown with the relics in the ethnographic collection: means and goods used in the farms, in the households as well as furniture, decoration items, documents and clothes from that time are included in the collection.

Collection of the fine arts consists of statuettes made in International Wood-Carving Creative Establishment and photos made about international symposiums held in the sculpture park mainly. Recently the collection has been extended with graphics and paintings made by Vencel Ágoston (1895-1946) a painter with roots in Nagyatád.
Temporarily closed!
Permanent exhibitions
A taste of the exhibition
Findings resulting from archaeological excavations in Bodvica (south part of city Nagyatád) in 2002 are placed in two glass cabinets. (This excavation was the first important one in the city.) There were remains of a rotunda (a church with circle basis) from period of King Mathias and findings from various graves found. The form of the church was considered very particular in the mentioned period because the circle ground plan was not typical that time yet. continue