Event calendar
2019. June
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Budapest Museum of Fine Arts - Budapest
The museum building
Address: 1146, Budapest Dózsa György út 41.
Phone number: (1) 469-7100
Opening hours: Tue-Sun 10-18
every even weeks Museum+: Thu 18-22
The millenary session of the Hungarian Parliament in 1896 passed a law whereby art collections previously held in different institutions were to be unified and placed in the newly-established Museum of Fine Arts.

On the basis of a competitive tender, Albert Schickendanz and Fülöp Herzog were commissioned to design and construct the building, which opened in 1906. The gallery displaying original paintings was placed in the first floor halls of the neo-classical building; however, only plaster casts were available to illustrate a complete history of European sculpture. It was for these life-size copy sculptures that the Doric, Ionic, Romanesque, Renaissance and Baroque halls on the ground floor were designed, imitating the styles of individual periods of art history.

However, as the number of original works increased, so the plaster sculptures were forced out of the building (the only one remaining, a copy of the group in the pediment of the temple of Zeus at Olympia, can be seen on the tympanum above the Museum's main entrance), and the ground floor galleries are now also used to display original works of art. On the ground floor are the exhibitions of the Classical Antiquities and of 19th century paintings and sculptures; the Renaissance hall, where in addition to Renaissance frescoes and fountains items from the Sculpture Collection may be seen; the Prints and Drawings Gallery with temporary exhibitions; and the Marble and Baroque halls.

Due to the continuous renovation work on the building, individual permanent exhibitions of the Old Masters' Gallery may temporarily be moved.
Permanent exhibitions
18 - 17 c. BC . Bull shaped pot: ( 1700 - 1600 c. BC), Clay, 10.6x13.9 cm
At the foundation of the Museum of Fine Arts, the gypsum copies of statues embodied antiquity. The Antique Collection was only founded in 1908 after a decision. Following the initiation of Hekler Antal, the governments bought the collection of 135 pieces of Paul Arndt that was augmented in 1914. Until WWII, a new piece was added to it every now and again. continue
Ornans 1819 - 1877 La-Tour-de-Peilz, Wrestlers: (1853), oil, canvas, 252x198 cm
The body of the collection of the 19th century begins with Delacroix and gives and overview of the development of French painting of the century. We show works of Delacroix, Courbet, Daubigny, Troyon, Millet, as well as the artists of impressionism and post-impressionism like Pissarro, Manet, Monet, Renoir, Cézanne and Gauguin. continue
Georg Flegel (1566-1638): Still Life
The collection presenting 150 Baroque, Rococo and Classicist paintings of Austrian and German painters moved into the newly reconstructed wing of the Museum of Fine Arts. The works of Johann Heinrich Schönfeld, Johann Liss, Salomon Adler and Johann Heinrich Roos among others belong to the Kupezky and Maulbertsch collections as well as the works of Angelika Kauffmann's works. continue
Urbino 1483 - 1520 Rome, Madonna Esterházy : (1508), tempera and oil, wood, 28.5x21.5 cm
The history of the Old Gallery of the Museum of Fine Arts is closely related to the history of collecting art objects in Hungary. Its birth is the result of assembling objects for centuries since some of the ecclesiastic collections and that of lords were formed from the end of the 17th until the 18-19th centuries. continue