Event calendar
2024. May
29
30
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
2024.04.20. - 2024.11.24.
Budapest
2023.12.15. - 2024.02.18.
Budapest
2023.11.16. - 2024.01.21.
Budapest
2023.11.09. - 2024.03.17.
Budapest
2023.10.27. - 2024.02.11.
Budapest
2023.10.18. - 2024.02.18.
Budapest
2023.09.22. - 2024.01.21.
Budapest
2012.03.01. - 2012.03.31.
Vác
2012.02.01. - 2012.02.29.
Miskolc
2012.01.22. - 1970.01.01.
Budapest
2011.10.04. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.10.01. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.10.01. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.09.30. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.09.30. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.07.04. - 2011.07.08.
Budapest
Göcsej Museum - Zalaegerszeg
The museum building
Address: 8900, Zalaegerszeg Batthyány utca 2.
Phone number: (92) 346-736
Opening hours: 11.01-31.03.: Tue-Sat 9-17
01.04-31.10.: Tue-Sun 10-18
The idea of building a museum was first announced in 1989 in an article written by the teacher Borbély György. In 1907, the teachers of the Grammar School began to collect old objects of ethnography. Most of them were scattered at the time of WWI, the rest were taken to Keszthely. In 1935, the keeper of records Fára József began to organize another museum that resulted in the foundation of the Göcseji Collection.

The Museum of Göcsej was realized in two wards of the Town Hall in 1950. Its first professional worker was the ethnographer Szentmihályi Imre until 1969.

In the first decade the folk traditions, agriculture and interiors of houses of Göcsej were in focus. The collection of old tools of shepherds and farmers was very successful.

The thousands of photos about the traditional life in the village taken by Szentmihályi were very important for the oncoming research works. The first independent exhibition opened in 1950. In 1960, the Jubilee Book of the Museum of Göcsej was published with many essays on the history of the county.

In 1962, the institution was taken over by the County Council. For some time two archeologists, (1962-63 Valter Ilona, 1967-69 Müller Róbert) worked there, but left soon for the unfavorable circumstances.

The Village Museum of Göcsej was begun to be built in 1963. The plan of the open air exhibition was made by the professor Barabás Jenő, the ethnographer Szentmihályi Imre and the architect Tóth János. The large-scale work required a large number of workers, thus a work committee was formed to help the procedure. Hungary's first open-air museum opened on 20, August 1968. Three of the like opened in the next decade in Kávás, Csesztreg, Zalalövő.

The museum received a building in a very bad state. The reconstruction works were finished in 1973 and new temporary exhibitions opened. In the meantime, the Museum Association of Zala County was formed and the Museum of Göcsej became a county museum. In 1976, the Kisfaludi Strobl Collection opened of the works of the artist. In 1979, the permanent exhibition titled 'The History of Zala County' opened. It is mainly field became archeology. The museum worked together with the National Monument Guard and the Archeology y Department of ELTE. In 1978, the preparation works for the research of the Small Balaton began which became one of the biggest excavation works in the country. The Hahóti Base was researched similarly. The international relations especially with Austria are very fruitful. Our employees publish their works in several periodicals.

The building of the museum was reconstructed again after 1992. Modern studios were formed in the attic while space was liberated for modern storages.
Permanent exhibitions
A taste of the exhibition
Zsigmond Kisfaludi Strobl is one of the most significant Hungarian sculptors of the 20th century. He was born in Alsórajk in Zala County as the son of a poor man. His talent that showed early could evolve via a scholarship he won at age twenty. He attended the National Drawing School during 1905-1908. continue
A taste of the exhibition
The concept of the exhibition is to show the history of the three regional centers that ever existed on the territory of Zala County: the Roman Salla (Zalalövő), Mosaburg / Zalavár from the 9th century and the center town in the new age Zalaegerszeg. continue
János Németh was born nearly seventy-five years ago in Zalaegerszeg. He returned to the town from every one of his journeys. He cannot and would not leave the town. Whenever he leaves his house, he meets acquaintances, he knows the streets, squares and houses, the trees and the hills around the town, he knows the creeks and the promise of the beautiful bushes on the slopes of the hills, but he also knows the mysterious world of the cool and dim forests in Göcsej.

He is enchanted by the snow-white walls of the ancient churches, in the tower with the bell, the crosses sanctified by the body of the Redeemer and the protecting statues of saints. He knows the wisdom of people gained generation after generation, he understands their world. He is from among them.

Even though he was trained by the finest masters at the Collage of Applied Arts, travelled the world as an acclaimed artist and applied the message of various cultures in his art, János Németh has remained a typical Zalaegerszeg citizen. He is the artist who opened the door to the world for the people of Zala. However, the door has two sides, can be entered both ways.

Wherever his works are displayed, in public squares or in an art gallery, he knows exactly that he is responsible for the world, as an organic part of the world. Every single work of art by János Nemeth reflects this responsibility.

László Kostyál

continue