Event calendar
2019. October
30
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
Scientific Collections of the Trans-Danubian Calvinist Church - Museum - Pápa
Scientific Collections of the Trans-Danubian Calvinist Church - Museum
Address: 8500, Pápa Március 15. tér 9.
Phone number: (89) 324-240, (89) 310-193
Opening hours: 01.11-30.04.: Tue-Fri 8-16
01.05-31.10.: Tue-Fri 8-16, Sat-Sun 9-17
Our collection developed from the collection of the Antique Collection of the Reformed Collage. The Antique Collection is almost the same age as the Reformed Collage but the professional work of collecting material only began at the end of the 18th century. The criteria of a Museum was only fulfilled in 1972 when the permanent exhibition of ecclesiastical art opened and the objects were professionally categorized.

The basis of the Antique Collection was the material of natural history and philology. Through time, we inherited objects from schools as well as the church. This collection developed into a museum.

At the beginning of the 19th century, the Meeting of the Church District also dealt with the destiny of the museum. The collection initiated by Ferenc Tóth hastened the growing of compilation. The first significant increase in the numbers of the objects occurred when the Sárközy heritage of 418 objects was taken in by the collection. This private collection included mainly material of archeology and numismatics. Our Roman findings were excavated in Ó-Szőny. Rómer Flóris first realized their significance in 1867. The archeological material was enlarged by the donation of Károly Markstein who donated a coffin and a mummy form Egypt. Galamb István gave the next significant donation of relics of a hundred pieces in 1893.

István Borsos Collage teacher prepared the catalogue of the collection in 1899. He registered 819 objects. The library had a collection of numismatics of almost 4000 pieces, which later reached the number of 18000.

The material of the Antique Collection was divided into smaller units according to their types. Until WWII, most of the objects were of archeological interest. At the time of the war, this material was destroyed. Collecting began again in the 70's which lead to our museum having a collection mainly made up of objects of applied art and ecclesiastical objects.

The Museum of the Scientific Collections of the Reformed Diocese of Transdanubia owns two exhibition buildings holding two permanent exhibitions. The national monument of the Ótemplom (6.Fő Street.) is a worthy location for our exhibitions. The main building (9, Március 15. Square 9.) includes the larger part of the collection where the Mummy can also be found. Our publications and postcards can be obtained here in the main building.
Permanent exhibitions
The mummy and its coffin has been seen in our museum for nearly 120 years
The mummy was brought to the relic store of the seminary in 1884 as a donation from former student Károly Markstein. The merchant purchased the finding in the Relic Museum of Egypt for 1500 franks. In the tombs of the Ptolemaios-age (305-30 B.C.) 8-10 thousand mummies and coffins were brought about, among them the mummy and coffin of Hori. continue
A taste of the exhibition
The objects of liturgy made in the 16-20th century are not used at sermons nowadays. They help us peep into the style of the art of the church, the technique of applied art in different periods. They also give a comprehensive picture of the reformed congregation of Transdanubia, its financial situation, and show the credit of the reformed congregations of the region. continue