Event calendar
2017. November
30
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
Mór Wosinsky County Museum - Szekszárd
The museum building
Address: 7100, Szekszárd Szent István tér 26.
Phone number: (74) 316-222
Opening hours: 01.10-31.03.: Tue-Sat 10-16
01.04-30.09.: Tue-Sun 10-16
Mór Wosinsky, the archeologist and museum founder. The museum was founded and opened its gates before the visitors in 1902.

Mór Wosinsky was born in Tolna in 1854. He finished his elementary schools here, and in Kalocsa. Following his secondary education he joined the Seminary in Pécs. His interest in archeology started soon, when he was a young priest. His mentor was Count Sándor Apponyi, The enlightened liberal, well known in Europe.

Wosinsky started his first excavation at Szárazpuszta without any proper archeological knowledge. Becoming enthusiastic on the succesful findings there, he carried on with his work at Töröksánc, near the village of Lengyel, which later became a well known neolithic site worldwide. With hard work and through intensive learning Wosinsky, after seven years of continuous digging at the the site, achieved high reputation among the scientists in Europe. Around the end of XIXth century, joining the general enthusiasm in Hungary (celebrating the first Millenium of Hungary), also Tolna county decided to draw up the history of the county. Wosinsky's part in it was the period before the settlement of the Magyars.

He hated to see, that all collected historical relics from this - and from other periods as well - went straight to the National Museum in Budapest, as it was the only institution in the country with proper funds to finance such activity. After long and not always fruitful fights he finally succeded to have a few rooms in the empty building of the local secondary grammar school, where he could place those - several thousands - objects which were his findings, and also those which were donated by count Apponyi.

This, of course, was a temporary solution only, and as a result of his determination, by the end of 1902, the new Museum was opened. (Built by Fülöp Hercog and Albert Schikedanz in neorenessaince style). Quite obviously the first Director was Wosinsky, who planned and executed popular education in his museum. Due to his early death in 1907 his life-work remained unfinished.
Permanent exhibitions
A taste of the exhibition
The permanent exhibition entitled "Our Heritage" reviews eight centuries of Tolna County. The first era reviewed is the foundation of the state; the last is the revolution of 1848-49. Do not think we are strict since the revolution of Kossuth is only a milestone in respect of politics. However, economy and social history do not know such strict divisions. The formation of a modern civilized society lasts centuries. In the new world that began with industrialization many preserved the past in their traditions and objects used. continue
Back to the Past on Two Wheels As part of the project 'The Memory of Object, our 120-year-old institution was expanded by a new unit this year. We set up a Spectacle Collection in the basement of the museum, which with respect of the genre in is partly novelty, partly, however, is a return to the era when the founder of the museum, Wosinsky, lived whose first exhibitions could also be described as warehouse-like presentation. continue