Event calendar
2019. August
29
30
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
1
Ferenczy Museum - Roman Stone Store (Castrum) - Szentendre
Ferenczy Museum - Roman Stone Store (Castrum)
Address: 2000, Szentendre Dunakanyar krt. 1.
Phone number: (20) 779-6657, (26) 310-244
Opening hours: Mon-Thu 9-16, Fri 9-12
The Stone Collection mostly present the stones found in Szentendre. The remains of the walls of the Roman Camp were still visible in the Middle Ages but disappeared in the 19-20th century. The territory of the camp was abundant in vine and fruit. Later cottages were built in the territory as well as the area of the cemetery. Throughout the excavations, a large number of findings were unearthed. Unfortunately, many of these disappeared. After the foundation of the Hungarian National Museum, many of the objects were moved to that collection. Later, the findings of Szentendre were relocated in the Museum of Aquincum founded in the 19th century. In the second half of the 1920's, an archeological collection began to form in the Town Hall.

Eleven of the woodcarvings presently displayed in the Stone Collection belonged to the collection of the Town Hall. The Ferenczy Museum opened in Szentendre in 1950 where the Roman stones were displayed at the exhibition of local history. From 1958, the stones were displayed in the yard of the museum and under the gate. The new open-air lapidarium opened on 1, October, 1970 on its present location. Here the stones were displayed south of the old camp of Ulcisia Castra (Castra Constantia from 4th century AD) in the open.

Among the objects of the Stone Collection, memories of burying and religion as well as stones erected on occasion of the visit of the Emperor and milestones can be found.
Opening hours
Mon-Thu 9-16, Fri 9-12
Services
guided tour
In Hungarian, English, French and German
Entrance is free of charge
for everybody
Ticket prices
Guide
6000 HUF
Group guide for children
3000 HUF
Guide
9000 HUF
Contact
Address 2000 Szentendre, Dunakanyar krt. 1.
Address Pf.: 49.
Museum manager
Gulyás Gábor
Telephone
(20) 779-6657
(26) 310-244
E-mail
Web