2019. November 16. Saturday
Central Museum of Mining - Sopron
Address: 9400, Sopron Templom utca 2.
Phone number: (99) 312-667, (99) 338-902
Opening hours: 01.04-31.10.: Tue-Sun 10-18
01.11-31.03.: Tue-Sun 10-16
The millennial town of Sopron has had centuries old connections with mining even before the opening of our museum. Mineral coal was first discovered in 1753 in the historical Hungary, in the woods around Sopron in the area, which is now called BrennbergbĂˇnya. Here the coal was started to be used for industrial purposes with very good results until 1951. In 1920, The School of Mining and Forestry that was transferred here from SelmecbĂˇnya according to the "Decision of Trianon" started to function in Sopron.