Event calendar
2020. September
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4
Soproni Museum - Sopron
The museum building
Address: 9400, Sopron Fő tér 8.
Phone number: (99) 311-327
Sopron is a town with traditional appretiating of antiques. In 1676 Wolfgang Lazius army physician found the grave of Marcus Vibius Aniensis, which was placed in the building of the town council. However, a town fire of the same year damaged the grave stone badly. The local council made a replica of the original stone. The two stones are exhibited in our archeological collection, as a representation of the local appretiation of historical relics.

There had always been some collectors in the town, who collected Roman relics, stones and all kinds of antiques. At the end of the 18th century Konrád Barth evangelical pastor carefully kept all items of the Roman grave yard that was just beneath the evangelical cemetary. After this the work of Sebestyén Dobner is worthy of our attention. He even placed a stone into his own house.

In 1847 Hungarian physicians and nature scientists held their congress in Sopron, and Sopron arranged an exhibition on the occasion. The exhibited materials consisted of items borrowed form offices and private persons. Small Roman statues, candle sticks, weapons from the 17th century, flags, utensils, golden cups and books were exhibited.

On the first day of the congress a letter from the Academy was read, which encouraged the excavation and appretiation of the historical relics. The congress laid the foundation for a law of national significance.

Times succeeding the revolutioon of 1848 were disadvantageous for establishing museums.

The settlement of 1867 resulted in the enhacement of building houses and laying down gas pipes in Sopron. During these works a significant amount of archeological materials were discovered. The town wanted to protect and keep these finds.

At this time archeologist Iván Paur worked here, who secured a scientific bases for the formation of a collection. In 1867 the Historical and Arts Union of Sopron was established, which was open to vistors each Sunday between 10 and 13 o'clock. Most of the materials were gifted or lent to the museum by the citizens of Sopron (for instance the grave stone collection of Iván Paur or the pieces of furniture of Ferenc Storno).

After initial enthusiasm the union ceased to exist for lack of finances. The museum, together with the archive was transferred under the supervision of the town. The collection of the town museum slowly started growing. The first prominently succesful collecting campaign of the museum took place in 1872, when it obtained materials of various work shops. This is still the most complete and wonderful collection of the museum.

In 1886 the Archeological Society of Sopron County was founded (out of the archeological collection of Iván Paur), which in 1897 united with the town museum under the title of Archeological Society of Sopron County and Royal Town. The united museum – as a result of the fusion – owned a rather significant collection of archeology, art history and gild history.

After a long period of hardships and several movings the museum found its final place in the Lenck mansion of Deák square. In 1987 the government purchased the Storno house and the collection, and the museum management and the region history collection were moved to the Storno house at this time. This way the exhibition of the craftsmanship and popular arts of Sopron found place in the Lenk villa.

Sopron Museum now welcomes visitors at 11 different exhibition spaces.