Event calendar
2019. October
30
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
János Xántus Museum - Győr
The museum building
Address: 9022, Győr Széchenyi tér 5.
Phone number: (96) 310-588
Opening hours: 01.10-01.04.: Tue-Sat 10-16
The Museum of Győr by means of the processor of title is the oldest country museum of Hungary. The 'natural sciences store' developed into a significant collection of oldies by the 1850's due to the work of Rómer Flóris. The excellent priest-teacher realized the significance of old objects in terms of education. He saved finds excavated during reconstruction works while on his fieldtrip to the Bakony he consciously searched for valuable old objects.

The school store was designated as the 'official collecting location' of the 'cs. and k. Central Committee. The posteriors of Rómer continued the collecting work. The town of Győr provided financial support to excavation works while the villagers donated objects to the compilation.

Benedictine objects were collected by Méry Etel, material related to guilds were saved by Börzsönyi Arnold who also helped in publication.

The work was continued by the archaeologist Lovas Elemér. This work which resulted in the establishment of the Benedictine Rómer Flóris Museum of GYőr. In the meantime, the town of GYőr also began the organization of a Town Museum which would have included the Benedictine compilation. This intention, however, failed and the Town Museum opened with fine art material in 1938.

This collection was moved to the Western countries after WWII. The new collection was put together by Szőke Béla who initiated new excavation works. The Communist regime nationalized the Benedictine compilation and unified it with the Town Museum in 1949. The material then was located in a building in Szécsenyi Street. The material transported to the west was moved back to Győr is 1963.

The museum was named after the traveller, ethnographer and researcher Xantus János who studied in Győr. He travelled all over the world during his life. He managed the Zoo of Pest he also established in 1966-68. Later, from 1972 to 1893 he was the head of department of the Ethnographic Collection of the National Museum.

The first exhibition of great dimension opened in 1954. The exhibition showing the history of the town of Győr adnd region has been open since the renovation of the museum in 1988.

A separate room holds showing of the heritage of the MD Petz family and the fine- and applied art compilation of the Abád-Hauser family.

The compilation of the Post Stamp Museum can be seen on the corridor. The exhibition provides a review of Hungarian stamps issued from 1971 to 1987.
Permanent exhibitions
A taste of the exhibition
Stamps of Hungarian Post Administration were solely made in the National Press from 1871 until 1949. Stamp production began with lithography. The first stamp made with mixed technique was made in 1888, as well as series printed in 1919 and 1920. continue
A taste of the exhibition
Dr. Abád József and his wife, Hauser Henriette, left their fine- and applied art collections to the Xántus János Museum of Győr. Dr. Abád József (1910-1978) was a Secondary School teacher, later employed by the Hungarian Phisical Education University, the founder of volley ball association in Hungary and a significant sport diplomat. continue
A taste of the exhibition
The legacy of Dr. Felpéci Petz Lajos and his son, Dr. Petz Aladár is shown in the special room of the Xantus Museum we show furniture, paintings, applied artworks and documents. continue
A taste of the exhibition
The oldest compilation of the museum is related to Rómer Flóris. We show archeological material from Neolithic period to the Árpád age in four rooms. Iron objects found in mass graves and unical weapons, ceramics and jewelry found in Celtic graves near Ménfőcsanak are of special interest. continue