Event calendar
2019. August
29
30
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
1
Rákóczi Museum - Sárospatak
The  Rákóczi castle
Address: 3950, Sárospatak Szent Erzsébet utca 19.
Phone number: (47) 311-083
Opening hours: Tue-Sun 10-18

Open on bank holidays!
Permanent exhibitions
The gothic stone store was opened in 1999 in the basement of the Eastern wing of the Palace. In the Windischgraetz era the stable was found in this wing. Later it was used as an ethnographic exhibition space, under the name of Erdélyi János hall. The restoring of the square held by pillars is connected to the name of Mihály Détshy. He designed the stairs leading to the entrance. continue
The renaissance stone carving made in the 1540
In the three arcuated hall of the Perényi wing the Bretzenheim princes arranged a library and a writing room according to the fashion of the age. The old book of the museum were brought here from the former piarista library of Sátoraljaújhely and the Péchy and Zichy libraries of Boldogkováralja. continue
Popular embroidery
The exhibition is connected to agriculture and grain growing. The tools of land cultivation had been developed during the course of centuries. continue
The old palace of the Red-tower
According to the ordinance of Lipót I. the outer castle of Patak was exploded by the imperials. However, the inner castle played an important role in the battles fought for the independence between 1703 and 1711. The captain monarch of the war for independence, Ferenc Rákóczi II. called the last insurrectionist parliament session to Patak, which met in the large hall of the Red-tower, in the old palace. continue
The enteriour-like exhibition also gives home for renaissance suppers
In the 16-17th century the kitchen was situated beside the Southwest corner pillar of the castle. Its fireplace was a closed stove standing between the Southern castle wall and the two pillars. This was used in the time of the Windishgraetz family and - up to 1959 - as a kitchen for the Work Institute. Its rebuilding took place between 1994 and 1996. At the renovation of the kitchen it was important to reinforce the different parts of the stove. continue
A taste of the exhibition
The cellar of the Lorántffy (Southern) wing of the castle was built at the same time as the palace wings. Its simple stone framed door also originates from this age. Renaissance stone carvings recalls the artistically rich period of the building of the castle. continue
Late renaissance stone carvings
The exhibition entitled "Speaking rocks - the building history of the Sárospatak castle" can be seen in the 19th century yard corridor. The placement of the rocks make it possible for the visitors to see the recarving and secondary use of the rokcs. continue
The vine cultivation in Hegyalja region was particularly improving in the 16th century. A good number of lords and highland towns endevoured to buy a land here. In the 17th century the Rákóczis contributed much to the developing of the grape-growing. continue