Event calendar
2019. June
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Lajos Kossuth Memorial Museum of the Hungarian National Museum - Monok
The museum building
Address: 3905, Monok Kossuth Lajos utca 18.
Phone number: (47) 356-039
The memorial museum that stands on the part of the old Big Well is the most famous house of the village. The one storey building, which had 2+2+2 windows, was built by the Count István Andrássy in 1780-82. The building built in the style of Luis XVI. functioned as an official ward. It was enlarged in the 19th century in the shape of the letter 'U' and received its shape of today in 1994 after the renovation works were finished.

Many of the original elements were preserved. The old shingle roof was replaced by tile, but the windows in the 80cm wide walls and the inner structure of the building is also in its original form. At one point the original wall painting is also preserved. The rooms were heated by fire places, the smoke collectively ran into the chimney on top of the roof. The only original fire place that is the one in the middle room, the rest were pulled down and tile stoves were used for heating from 1870.

The Lajos Kossuth plaque was placed on the facade of the Kossuth house in 1911. The bronze relief is the work of Aladár Gajdos.

The Kossuth cult in Monok changed after WWII in its quality. The Lajos Kossuth Memorial Museum opened at the 100th anniversary of the revolution and war of independence in 1949. The first plate reads: 'At the 100th anniversary of the war of independence and the 55th anniversary of the death of Lajos Kossuth the birthplace of the leader of the revolution was transformed into a Museum of the Ministry.'

Monok became a national place of pilgrimage. The displayed objects are from the old Museum of the Parliament, the Museum of the History of War, The Hungarian National Museum and the Kossuth Museum of Cegl├ęd. None of the objects is of local origin.
The Lajos Kossuth Memorial Museum belongs to the Hungarian National Museum since 1963.
Permanent exhibitions
The tokajhegyalja wine land is situated in the triangle shaped area bordered by Aba├║jsz├ínt├│, Tokaj and S├ítoralja├║jhely (the Southern part of the Zempl├ęn mountains. The closed wine region is in the Northernmost zone of the European vine cultivation. The Tokaj wine had been dominating the region alone up to the end of the 19th century. It was popular also in England and France. continue
The permanent exhibition - opened in 1994 - remembers the 100th anniversary of Kossuth's death. The title - "My sweet home, Zempl├ęn" expresses the fact that the exheibition emhasises the connections of Kossuth and Zempl├ęn county. Walking through the 6 rooms we can acquaint ourselves with Kossuth's personal objects and the most significant documents of the age. continue