Event calendar
2017. November
30
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
Baranya County Museum Authority - Janus Pannonius Museum - Pécs
Baranya County Museum Authority - Janus Pannonius Museum
Address: 7621, Pécs Káptalan utca 5.
Phone number: (72) 514-040
The network of the museums in Baranya is one of the largest and most versatile networks in Hungary. The network has taken part in the collection and filing of Hungarian relics since 1904.

The year of 1949 was an important turnpoint, as the law concerning museulogy was passed and it declared and defined new directions for the field. In 1951 the Imre Majorossy Town Museum of Pécs and the collection of the Baranya Museum merged under the name of Janus Pannonius Museum, then it was placed - together with the other exhibition places - under the supervision of Baranya Council in 1958.

Since the 1960'ies the multitude of new exhibition places have been established. Visitors can see rich and versatile collections in Pécs, Mohács, Komló, Szigetvár and Siklós. Popular life is represented in region houses. The Hungarian Academy of Sciences quqlified our institute as a scientific research network.

However, tasks of the museum reach beyond the scientific research of the past. Our connection with the school and public education, with the churches and local councils, and with other institutes such as the castle lovers' movement, tie us in many ways to the everyday culture and structure of the local society.

Each department of the Baranya Museologic Organisation operates as a separate unit, and they are all registrated as individual museologic institutes fulfilling all necessary conditions.

There has been a well-ordered collection work going on at the department of natural sciences. One of the largest collection is exhibited in Pécs (64 Rákóczi Rd.), under the title of The Natural Features of Mecsek and its Surrounding.

The archeologic collection has been gradually grwoing ever since the turn of the century. It includes about 300.000 stocked items. At the archeology department resarches and excavating works are being done in all archeological era. This departmentt has 11 permanent exhibitions in the county.

Operating conditions for the department of modern history were fulfilled at the opening of the Town History Museum of Pécs. The museum at present owns 50.000 historic documents and has another seven exhibitions in the county.

The ethnographic collection includes items of popular agriculture, the second largest textile collection in Hungary, and an outstanding folklore collection. Throughout the county there are 15 ethnographic exhibitions waiting for visitors. In Mohács there is a Southern Slavic Museum in operation under the auspices of the Kanizsai Dorottya Museum.

Enhanced development of the collection of applied and fine arts was trigerred off by the establisment of the Zsolnay Museum in 1955 and the opening of the Modern Hungarian Gallery in 1957. The local supporters of the case and the preparedness of professional workers contributed to the fact that the most significant collection of modern Hungarian arts was formed in the town of Pécs. Pécs, following Budepest, is the second biggest centre of fine arts collections in Hungary. The collection includes mostly 20th century Hungarian and foreign art works. It numbers nearly 10.000 fine arts and 18.000 applied arts pieces.