Event calendar
2019. October
30
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
Győr Clerical Treasury and Library - Győr
Address: 9021, Győr Káptalandomb 26.
Phone number: (96) 525-090
Opening hours: 15.04-31.10.: Mon-Fri 8-15
Beside this period on prior notice.
history of the church, permanent exhibition, story
Share it, if you like it:
Museum tickets, service costs:
Ticket for adults
700 HUF
Group ticket for adults
500 HUF
Ticket for students
500 HUF
Group ticket for students
400 HUF
Ticket for pensioners
500 HUF
Group ticket for pensioners
400 HUF
Ticket for families
1400 HUF
/ family
The bishopric of Győr was established by king St. Stephen. He arranged that that liturgical books, utensils and chasubles should be kept in the cathedral. During the centuries this made up the pontifical treasury, although we have not a single item from the earliest times.

The treasury always cosisted of liturgical objects: the bishops and noblemen donated donating valuable alloys and wonderful textiles. In the 15-16th century mostly Hungarian works, whereas from the 18th century on mostly Viennese pieces were transfered to the collection.

The history of the cathedral is interwoven with the history of the town. On several occasions the church was rebuilt, and at the same time the collection was growing as well. In 1526 half of the treasury had to be given to the coin mint, and during the 16-17th centuries frequent fires and explosions lessened the remaining equippment. In the 18th century the cathedral was rebuilt into a new form, which is the one still seen today.

Not only did Ferenc Zichy build the cathedral as one of the nicest church of Hungary, but he also renewed the impoverished jewel-house and the enteriour of the church. His steps were also followed by two of his successors, bishop János Simor and János Zalka, who were enriching the jewel-house by older relics and new items as well. In the beginning of the first world war a nationwide movement was started for the protection of the ecclesiastic possessions, and thus many rural churches gave the most valuable items to the bishopric in Győr as well. This is how the material of the Ecclesiastic Historical Museum and the permanent exhibition were formed.