Event calendar
2019. August
29
30
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
1
Károlyi-Palace - Szegvár
Károlyi-Palace
Address: 6635, Szegvár Kossuth tér 1.
Phone number: (70) 607-3295, (1) 202-6288
Opening hours: 01.04-30.11.: Wed-Sun 10-18
Szegvár, the village close to the River Tisza and its blind is situated in The Great Hungarian Planes at the banks of the Kurca and Kórógy. Her name is known among archeologists all over the world. Excavations prove that the area of the village was populated 7-8000 years ago. Memories of the so-called Kőrös Culture, people of Mediterranean origin strolling over the land were found there. The statue of the Szegvár-Tűzkövesi Sarlós God was found around Szegvár. The first figure of God in the second half of the Neolithic Period, 4450-4035 BC is the unpaired memory of the so-called Tisza Culture.

The first heydays of Szegvár as well as the building of the palace of the Bishop are connected to the head chamberlain Dóczi János (1506-1534) who was later the treasurer of Szapolyai János. Excavations prove that the castle of Szegvár was the center of the estate. In 1726-1728 Károlyi Sándor used the remains of the former Dóczi Castle.

In 1768, the count Károlyi Antal offered to sell the building in poor state to the county. The researchers still debate of the castle was reconstructed or completely rebuilt into the Town Hall that functioned in 1773-1883.

(Extract from the publishing of Bardi Terézia - Wisnovszkyné Hajdi Márta: 'Monuments under Sate Guard', 2004.)
Opening hours
01.04-30.11.: Wed-Sun 10-18
Services
guided tour
In Hungarian
Entrance is free of charge
for everybody
Contact
Address 6635 Szegvár, Kossuth tér 1.
Address Műemlékek Állami Gondnoksága, Dísz tér 15.
Museum manager
Csány Éva
Telephone
(70) 607-3295
(1) 202-6288
Fax
202-6288
E-mail
Web