Event calendar
2019. October
30
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
Győr Clerical Treasury and Library - Győr
Győr Clerical Treasury and Library
Address: 9021, Győr Káptalandomb 26.
Phone number: (96) 525-090
Opening hours: 15.04-31.10.: Mon-Fri 8-15
Beside this period on prior notice.
The Diocese Library of Győr was formed by the fusion of two valuable libraries. It contains the books of the Priest Educating Institute and the cathedral.

The Seminary started its operation in 1688. Its library contains but a few books from the first century of its existance, for the collection was injured several times. In 1763 an earthquake caused serious damage to the volumes. Some of the boos were shipped to Bratislava in 1784. The soldiers of Napoleon also caused damages in the collection in 1809.

Donations formed the main saurce of the growing. In 1793, priest of Répcekőhalom, János Lőrentz presented 1300 volumes to the library, in 1803 Mihály Dongó gave 2000 books, and in 1821 Sándor Balogh left 5762 books to the library. Sándor Balogh had purchased a good number of valuable books from the professor of Vienna, and managed to obtain for instance József Calovino's library of very rare and valuable books.

The further extending library was merged with the library of the cathedral. The books of the cathedral were shipped to the new building of the Priest Educating institute.

The library of the cathedral started significantly growing in the beginning of the 17th century, mostly as a result of the council of Nagyszombat (1611) which announced that the books of the bishops and canons should be left to these collections. Thanks to the researches of Judit Vásárhelyi, we now exactly know aboutthe 17th century possessors of the collection. Demeter Náprági had 50 volumes - a part of which belonged to famous persons such as Zsigmond János prince of Transsylvania, Zsigmond Báthory or István Báthory Polish king. The name of Mátyás Nyéki Vörös is marked in 22 works, but we also know dozens of canons who had books here at this time. Although not all involved left their books to this collection, the institute significantly grew during the course of time.

The last great donator was canon János Holdházy János. (One of the chambers was named after him.) He donated about 4000 volumes to the institute. The growing collection made it necessary to extend the building. The library received its present form during the work of bishop Lipót Árpád Várady between 1911 and 1913.

The Treasury and Diocese Library of Győr today counts about 67 thousands of books, 1 thousand volumes of periodicals, 190 incunabula and 362 manuscripts from the times before 1850. A valuable part is the so-called Jauriensia-Collection, which contains the literature and works of the priests regarding the diocese.
Permanent exhibitions
The bishopric of Győr was established by king St. Stephen. He arranged that that liturgical books, utensils and chasubles should be kept in the cathedral. During the centuries this made up the pontifical treasury, although we have not a single item from the earliest times. continue