Event calendar
2024. April
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4
5
2024.04.20. - 2024.11.24.
Budapest
2023.12.15. - 2024.02.18.
Budapest
2023.11.16. - 2024.01.21.
Budapest
2023.11.09. - 2024.03.17.
Budapest
2023.10.27. - 2024.02.11.
Budapest
2023.10.18. - 2024.02.18.
Budapest
2023.09.22. - 2024.01.21.
Budapest
2012.03.01. - 2012.03.31.
Vác
2012.02.01. - 2012.02.29.
Miskolc
2012.01.22. - 1970.01.01.
Budapest
2011.10.04. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.10.01. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.10.01. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.09.30. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.09.30. - 1970.01.01.
Nagykáta
2011.07.04. - 2011.07.08.
Budapest
Máré Castle - Magyaregregy - Márévár
Máré Castle
Address: 7332, Magyaregregy - Márévár Várvölgy
Opening hours: Temporarily closed
The Castle of Máré was built on a slope over the Mecsek. The beautiful land in the outskirts of Magyarergregy was surrounded by a forest. The castle of knights was built at the place of the wooden guard tower in the 13th century in Gothic style. King Róbert Károly gave the castle to István Bogár as a present for his valor. Later the Gyulafi family gave it to the Töttős and Vesszős as a hock. Later the Várady family held it.

In the 16th century, the castle was rebuilt in the Renaissance style. By this time, Pál Bakaesi owned it. His coat of arms read: "VIRTUTE ET ARMIS OPTINUIMUS HANC ARCEM" (We won this castle with valor and weapon) In 1543 the Turkish army deserted it. The Turkish army left a guard there as it was an important spot from the point if view of warfare.

The third time the castle was rebuilt was in connection with Márk Horváth and the Rác Turkish. In 1698, it belonged to the Bishop of Pécs, but again it was a deserted ruin. For three hundred years, it had no owner, only tourists visited it.

The castle that was almost completely demolished was rebuilt in the 1960's. The museum organized an exhibition of the history of the castle and the flora and fauna of the Mecsek.
Permanent exhibitions
The legend of the castle goes like this: South of Egregy, in the castle of Máré lived the valiant Máré with his new wife. In the nearby castle of Miklós in Szentlászló lived his brother, Miklós without a wife. Máré was invited to fight on the side of the King. He said good-by to his wife and asked her to be faithful to him. Years passed, but Máré did not come home. His wife believed him dead, and was happy to see the master of the nearby palace. continue
The East Mecsek has been a conservation area since 1977. Many protected animals and plants can be found there. In its forests there is the fragrant 'hunyor', the basis of the 'tea of Mecsek', the balm with large petals, the 'bear onion' with its characteristic smell. Among the animals we can find red deer, deer, and, boar there. continue