Event calendar
2019. October
30
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
Kotsy Watermill - Zalaszántó
The museum building
Address: 8353, Zalaszántó Ádám u. 2
Phone number: (87) 555-260, (87) 555-291
Opening hours: 15.03-15.10.: 10-17
The village of Zalaszántó is surrounded by a beautiful environment. The Keszthelyi Hills reaches the South Bakony here in the Szántó Basin. South of the ruins of Rezi, north-east the ruins of the Castle of Tátika show. The area is part of the Upper Balaton National Park since 1997.

The first authentic charter that mentioned the name of came from 1236. The habitat named Zamtho was given to the church of Veszprém by the bishop Zaland in the 13th century. The name Szántó comes from the verb ‘till’ and suggests that it was populated by farming, serving people. In the 15th century, legislation was held in Zala County. Was given the county town rank around the 15th century. Several villages, Zsid, Rezi, Kovács, Hidegkút belonged to the town. The habitat was destroyed under Turkish subjection. From the 18th century, the Festetics family owned it. At the beginning of the 20th century a steam and water mill were built in the town while an industrial society was founded in 1930. The Kotsy watermill was located in Ádám Street.

The János Major watermill was bought by Nándor Kotsy in the 20th century, hence the name.

The water was propelled by the creaks Kovácsi and Zerna. The mill was reconstructed at the beginning of the 1950's and a modern grinding technology was introduced. However, only one masticator was purchased. The former water operated grinder was later powered by motor mower and later electricity supply.

Grinding was ended in 1960. The unattended building was purchased by the Upper Balaton National Park in 2000. The building was reconstructed in 2003 supported by the Ministry of Water Management. In 2004 exhibition rooms were opened in the building.

Did you know that there were four water mills and a oil press in 1876?
According to contemporary desriptions, there stood a water mill ever since the Turkish subjection where now the Kosty mills stands?
That Pentecost is the day of millers?