Event calendar
2019. April
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4
5
Archibishop - Kalocsa
The museum building
Address: 6300, Kalocsa Hunyadi János u. 2.
Phone number: (78) 462-166 /210, (30) 575-0702
Opening hours: 01.04-31.10.: Tue-Sun 9-17
Also at other times on prior notice.
The idea to present the memoirs of the ecclesiastical art of the Primacy of Kalocsa was worded in 1980. This was the time when the most valuable work of arts was started to be collected.

The classic treasury was founded by the former archbishops of Kalocsa. The artistically created liturgical tools and clothing were destroyed in 1529 when the Turkish invaded the town. But the same happened to all of the churches of the County, hundreds of years' work was demolished by the invasion. It is obvious that the artworks collected are from the period after the leave of the Turkish: 18-19th centuries. The pieces that were made earlier were either bought by the church or were given to it. At the second half of the 19th century Imre Henszlmann, at the beginning of the 20th century Ern┼Ĺ Foerk also found valuable pieces through the excavations they performed.

The first permanent exhibition showing the collected artworks opened on 19, August, 1988. The founders had only one exhibition on mind, but since more and more pieces were given to Kalocsa a storehouse was necessary to be had. The dilapidated churches presented their artworks to Kalocsa. Many of the pieces were given to the church as a heritage. In each year a few pieces managed to be restored.

'The task of the Treasury of the Primacy was becoming more clear: the institutions named Treasury of the Primacy of Kalocsa-Kecskem├ęt and the Collection of Kalocsa Ecclesiastical Center aimed at collecting, registering, processing, restoring, and publishing information on the objects important from the point of view of art history from all around the area. They also aimed at presenting the objects at exhibitions and other possible ways. The Treasury of the Primacy gives professional help to the churches of the area in preserving the art objects found and kept by the churches, and also in creating a way to guard them. If necessary, it will provide a proper placement and treatment for those objects that are in need of it. It also helps the succession from the point of view of the protection of work of arts found at the area of church.'
(Quotation from the SZMSZ)
Permanent exhibitions
P├ęter Prokop was born in Kalocsa in 1918; he was consecrated into priesthood 1942. He performed his task for three years after which he enrolled the Fine Art Academy. He was asked to return to his original profession by his archbishop in 1948 after the schools were nationalized and he could not finish his last semester at the Academy. He moved to Rome in 1957. He graduated as a painter from the Fine Art Academy of Rome where he became a complete artist. In 1999 he moved back to Hungary and lived and worked in Csepel until his death in 2003. continue
István Katona Memorial Room
The first permanent exhibition of the Treasury of the Primacy opened on 19, August, 1988, on occasion of the 950th anniversary of the death of St. Stephen. The exhibition was opened by Dr. László Dankó, archbishop of Kalocsa by the following words: 'The 2nd Synod of the Vatican teaches the following in its disposal on Liturgy: Our good mother, the church has always been a patron of fine arts, especially, when it aimed at the objects of liturgy being ornamented, worthy. continue